Summary of GHSA Influenza Program Coordinator
|Position Title||Duration||Type||Position Date||Job Location|
|GHSA Influenza Program Coordinator||Yearly. Renewed depending on the availability of funds||Full-Time||1/27/2017||Burkina Faso|
The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a pan-African professional body working to advocate for the critical role and needs of laboratory medicine and networks throughout Africa. Africa is rapidly growing but faces major health challenges including epidemics of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria, and new priorities such as Ebola and other global health security threats. Strengthened laboratory capacity and surveillance in Africa are critical to overcoming the burden of disease and ensuring a healthy future for the continent. ASLM addresses these challenges by working collaboratively with governments, local and international organizations, implementing partners, and the private sector.
Summary of the position:
Through a cooperative agreement with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the ASLM is supporting laboratory system strengthening for influenza in Africa as components the Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA).The ASLM Program Coordinator will assist with improving laboratory processes by providing support and guidance to staff and stakeholders. Ideal candidates will be motivated by the challenge of developing and proposing solutions to strengthen the laboratory infrastructure across Africa.
Under the supervision of the ASLM Director of Global Health Security, the Program Coordinator will:
- Support influenza diagnostics strengthening in Africa.
- Select and contract the local logistics contractors for the ANISE meeting and training support.
- Monitor contractor compliance to workplans and deliverables and working with them in-country during meetings/training events.
- Assist countries with training participant selection and deployment.
- Act as the ASLM focal point for all facilitators, trainees and meeting attendees.
- Make arrangements and follow up on logistics, conference calls, emails and reporting.
- Assist with meeting/training event planning and providing in-country logistical support during events.
- Develop training/meeting reports and following up with trainees/attendees post events.
- Select and contract technical consultants(s) for in-country support.
- Assist countries with defining terms of reference and scopes of work for technical work.
- Assist with procuring and shipping supplies for countries, as determined by the technical experts.
- Provide translation services in French and English.
This position requires a highly motivated individual with strong program coordination and organizational skills, and experience working with non-profit organizations. S/he must be able to function independently, be a self-starter, dedicated, and have a strong commitment to excellence. S/he should also exhibit a number of important personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a similar field with a minimum of three (3) years of professional experience.
- Ability to establish working relationships with diverse groups, as well as the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated capability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of: Microsoft Office applications with proficiency in Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Experience in a non-profit organization setting preferred.
- Fluency in English required; additional relevant language skills preferred.
- Prior experience working in Africa preferred.
- This position is a contract position and subject to available funding. ASLM may terminate employment at any time due to funding, or for any other lawful reason.
- Please note that all applicants should apply online by close 5:30pm (EAT) Friday, February 10, 2017..
*ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.Please submit your resume and application letter online to: Apply for this job online
*ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.