Summary of Senior Program Manager – ASLM/UNITAID Project:
|Position Title||Duration||Type||Position Date||Job Location|
|Senior Program Manager – ASLM/UNITAID Project||Yearly. Renewed depending on the availability of funds||Regular Full-Time||11/14/2016||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.|
The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a pan-African professional body working to advocate for the critical role and needs of laboratory medicine and networks throughout Africa. Africa is rapidly growing but faces major health challenges including epidemics of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria, and new priorities such as Ebola and other global health security threats. Strengthened laboratory capacity and surveillance in Africa are critical to overcoming the burden of disease and ensuring a healthy future for the continent. ASLM addresses these challenges by working collaboratively with governments, local and international organizations, implementing partners, and the private sector.
Summary of the position:
CHAI has partnered with ASLM to accelerate adoption and uptake of POC technologies under the UNITAID Funded Point-of-Care HIV Diagnostic Project, which brings essential diagnostic testing closer to patients. ASLM will be responsible for disseminating evidence and lessons learned, leading the development of technical best practices on supportive systems, and establishing a community of practice for laboratory leaders, implementers, and partners to promote knowledge sharing and south-to-south learning. The Senior Program Manager is a full-time position at ASLM and will be the point person at ASLM for executing ASLM’s project activities.
- Lead the implementation of the UNITAID project and oversee all aspects of program management including planning, budgeting, implementation, and reporting.
- Liaise with Ministry of Health officials, public health laboratory leadership, partners and other key stakeholders and organize advocacy meetings for the uptake of new diagnostics and their integration into national lab systems.
- Ensure appropriate implementation by enlisting qualified experts and project teams, and to monitor overall project performance and assesses project outcomes.
- Write scopes of work for consultants assisting with adoption of the new technologies.
- Oversee the development of communications deliverables.
- Supervise the work of the Senior Scientist and Senior Communications Officer.
- Maintain appropriate bi-directional communication and information flow with HQ to ensure the project activities are being fully leveraged on the ground.
- Interact with CHAI’s project team to ensure close collaboration and alignment.
- Provide in-depth and high-quality technical assistance to the government and relevant stakeholders.
- Perform any other duties assigned by management, including travel to the Regional POC meeting.
- A degree in Medical Laboratory Science or Medicine, and work experience in a laboratory or clinical environment required.
- Master’s Degree from accredited college or university in Laboratory Sciences or other laboratory disciplines, Public Health, Medicine, or management-related degree preferred.
- Program management or management consulting experience preferred.
- Experience with the field of POC and near POC technology including its evaluation, regulation and implementation
- Self-starter with a strong ability to think and work independently while handling multiple projects and priorities. At the same time, ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to visualize, articulate, conceptualize, and solve complex problems.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and ability to be self-directed.
- Ability to navigate complex government processes with multiple stakeholders, and experience with negotiating and achieving consensus.
- Experienced professional who knows how to get things done – on time and on budget.
- Persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Passion for science education and drive to work as part of a dynamic, fast paced, highly motivated team.
- Strong leadership skills that include the ability to lead and manage in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to build effective project team, to delegate and motivate others to perform.
- Comfortable in a peer relationship with political leaders such as the Minister for Health, Senior MOH staff, zone and district MOH staff, and health sector leaders.
- International NGO, non-profit, social enterprise, and/or academic organization experience preferred.
Please submit your resume and application letter online to: Apply for this job online
Please note that all applications should apply online by close 5:30pm (EAT) Friday November 25, 2016.
*ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.