Summary of Web Developer
|Position Title||Duration||Type||Position Date||Job Location|
|Web Developer||Yearly. Renewed depending on the availability of funds||Regular Full-Time||1/4/2017||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.|
The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a pan-African professional body working to advocate for the critical role and needs of laboratory medicine and networks throughout Africa. Africa is rapidly growing but faces major health challenges including epidemics of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria, and new priorities such as Ebola and other global health security threats. Strengthened laboratory capacity and surveillance in Africa are critical to overcoming the burden of disease and ensuring a healthy future for the continent. ASLM addresses these challenges by working collaboratively with governments, local and international organizations, implementing partners, and the private sector.
Summary of the position:
The Web developer will manage all of ASLM’s technology needs related to the smooth operation of programs including oversight role of the Laboratory Information System project and website developments. Under general supervision of the Director of Programs the IT/Web Specialist, provide website development, maintenance and oversight for individual departments or programs. Assist in conceptualization and implementation of design elements and determine that websites meet usability requirements Ensure compatibility with various platforms and monitors as well as ease of navigation. Assist in assimilation of new software programs by training and serving as a resource for designated staff.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Adequate knowledge of relational database systems, Object Oriented Programming and web application development
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling our site
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Cooperate with web designers to match visual design intent
- Monitor, Edit, maintain, and update current web pages.
- Consults with the Program Director to determine programmatic web page needs and goals.
- Provides IT related technical support and instruction to staff.
- Ensure maximum access to and implementation of technology services and resources within ASLM
- Define web page design criteria; ensures design is consistent with existing or established standards.
- Responds to staff users’ IT related questions and problems
- Install, upgrade, and facilitate maintenance of laptops, desktops, and virtual machines.
- Lead procurement and install, configure, analyze, and debug peripherals such as printers, scanners, barcode scanners, pointing devices, keyboards, PDAs, and flash drives.
- Procure, install, and configure software applications.
- Provide for system backups and maintenance of staff workstations on a regular basis, using hardware and software solutions as needed.
- Maintain an accurate and up to date inventory of hardware and software.
- Perform timekeeping and complete timesheet every month
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Director of Programs.
- A degree in Computer Science/ Information Systems Management, and work experience in Laboratory Information Systems web based tools development, support, and management is required.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in health, international NGO, non-profit environment.
- Self-starter with a strong ability to think and work independently while handling multiple projects and priorities. At the same time, ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to visualize, articulate, conceptualize, and solve complex problems.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and ability to be self-directed.
- International NGO, non-profit, social enterprise, and/or academic organization experience preferred.
Please submit your resume and application letter online to: Apply for this job online
Please note that all applications should apply online by close 5:30pm (EAT) Thursday February 2, 2017
*ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.